Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Kona kind of day...

The week started off great. Monday was a nice run with Kathleen and her dog Ace and Kona and I. The pace was easy and the conversation never lacked. The dogs energy is contagious, they are always making us smile.
Then it was off to the pool for a butt kicking by the best swim coach ever, Marcia Marcia Marcia. I just can't say her name once. Here we are pre-butt kicking.

Tuesday was a long easy ride. However the wind required me to give a bit more effort than I had. But I survived and made it to the grocery store and then the gym for core strength with my buddy Chris. He is not really my buddy, time with him hurts way too much for it to be fun! Just kidding! Actually I am not kidding about the pain, this stuff hurts. But he is a great kid! So fast forward to today. I knew the moment I woke up that whatever I did today was going to hurt and hurt bad. So I packed up the bike and drove down the hill, trying to minimize the damage done to my legs by climbing up the hill to my house at the end of what ride I had planned.

Once I started riding there was no turning back, no giving up, just me and the Kona style winds. It was windy folks, like ride your bike sideways windy, 45 degree angle windy. My legs felt like I had ridden to Hawi and back, twice! The last 10 miles of a 50 mile ride took at least an hour! No joke, it is uphill and into the wind. But I made it back to my car in one piece and looked and there were my run shoes sitting in the back! Imagine that! And there is this nice dirt trail, so I thought what the heck a little brick does a broken body good. I headed out on this nice dirt path, again I was uphill and into the wind. I think I lost my legs out there on my ride, because this little 30 min trail run was kicking my butt! Once I turned around and ran downwind for a bit I felt better. This is the second official ice bath of the year! I am hoping my legs recover for tomorrow's run! Off to pick up the kids! Cheers!!

No comments: