Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Baby steps and Hope

I have not had much to blog about lately. The weather is perfect for running, cool crisp mornings, bright sunny sky, amazing. However, I have not been able to run like I should be right now. I have not run further than 8 miles since Boulder 70.3 August 9th. I have been battling an Achilles injury. I have been mad, sad, angry, disappointed and now I feel better. I am running. Well, sort of. Not the kind out running I like or that my body is used to, but I am getting in some miles. These are the baby steps I need to take to make sure I can make it to the start of Ironman Arizona. The plan is to get from 8 miles to marathon ready in 9 weeks! I have hope!

The key to training with an injury I have learned, is to control the things you can. I cannot control if my foot will hurt when I wake up, or when I run. So I try not to focus on that only on doing my ice, heat, massage, stretch and Hoping that it doesn't hurt. I can swim and bike and slowly building the run. These are things I can control. The dog rushing to beat me down the stairs and taking my bad leg with him..nope can't control him either! I can't control my training partner either. Kathleen was feeling like I was getting all the attention with my bad Achilles so she decided to break her foot! So here we both gimp along to swim practice, perfecting the one leg push off the wall and learning to love pulling! I have hope she will be back at it soon and just as I am ramping up my running she will be able to spin on a mountain bike and back to being my Sherpa!! To all those faced with injuries we can't control, never give up! I have Hope! Cheers!

No comments: