Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Summer ....

I can't believe summer is almost gone. This was a summer of firsts. It was the first time my kids were out of school all summer long. We spent many days at the pool and doing fun stuff. I tried to sneak in a few training sessions when they were otherwise occupied but it was tough! I did my first duathalon this summer. Not that I would quickly sign up for another one but it was "fun"! I also after 13 years of racing did my first Olympic distance triathlon. That's right, I have done 14 Ironman's but only one Olympic. And I placed 2nd in my age group. I was very mellow and even had a beer and pizza the night before, and I had loads of fun! This might be something I should try before an Ironman? Hmmm..

Just recently I raced the Boulder 70.3, formerly known as 5430 long course, and once again I was unable to race to my potential. Last year before this race I broke my nose. This year it is a bad Achilles. I have been unable to run for many weeks. I am 13 weeks from Ironman Arizona and thinking I will suffer greatly on the run if I don't get this Achilles issue resolved. I am hoping to swim and bike my buns off and to run in the pool until it heals.

Now that the kids are back in school, well one is home sick today, I have my training partner back! It has been a lonely summer training solo and I am so happy to have Kathleen to pull me around! She joined me yesterday for some intervals on the bike. One more week and she will be killing it! Look out Redman Triathlon!! I'm off to take one sick little boy to the Dr. He actually saved me from myself as I would have tried to run today I'm sure!

Cheers to great training partners!!

No comments: