Friday, April 30, 2010

Galveston 70.3




Galveston is turning out to be one of my favorite races. It is a good early test of where I am and a mellow way to get back into triathlon. In years past we have had great cool weather with little wind. This year was pay-back time! It was HOT and super windy. And I really did have fun.

The swim was looking bad as we were the second to last wave to go off. One hour and 15 min after the pros had started the race. But as the wind picked up so did my confidence. I have done some pretty choppy swims and I am very comfortable in the water, so bring on the swells!

On to the bike, following coaches orders ( an accomplishment in and of itself) I took it easy the first half of the bike, too easy! By the time I hit 50 miles I felt like I wanted to ride another 50 miles. Oh no, what did I do. Well I was trying to set myself up for a good run so this is good to have fresh legs off the bike.

On to the run, I felt amazing. My legs wanted to go and felt great at about a 7:50 pace. However, at mile 6 my stomach had a different idea. I had to be in the porta-john every 2 miles or so until the finish! This has never happened and I hkope it does not happen again!

All in all it was a great day! I finished 8th in my age group and I am ready to start training for the next race! Bring on the tri season!!

No comments: