Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Boulder 70.3



Where o' where has the summer gone? I think that I blinked and the summer flew by. I love having my kids at home and we had so much fun, but I have work to do! So off to school they go!





How will I manage without them you ask? What will I possibly do with all my free time? Well I will tell you one thing, you can find me here::





Going into this weekend was a huge training block, a big build toward Kona. I was feeling tight, fatigued and anything but fresh. But this being a "c" race I pushed on and fought the urge to sit on the couch and taper like everybody else. As the week went on I started feeling better and better and by Sunday I was ready to race.


Race morning I was calm and cool. I got up and had breakfast, then we headed to the res. We got to transition with plenty of time to get a good spot on the rack and take care of business. The morning was quite cool but would heat up fast. As the gun went off starting our wave I was ready for whatever the day was going to bring. I had no expectations of how I would do or how I would feel. My main goal for the day was nailing my nutrition. Something that has been hard for me the last few years. I wanted to get off the bike and not have tummy troubles straight onto the run course. The swim was great, lots of open water, as much as I tried I could not find feet. My swim was a bit slower than I thought I could do, but then again I have not been swimming consistently this summer.


Out of T1 at my normal snails pace and on to the bike. I knew that the day was going to be hot and that nutrition was going to be key to finishing the race and recovering well for the next big training block. I am happy to say that my splits were pretty even and I was feeling good. I rolled into T2 happy with my plan and no tummy issues.


Once I got on the run course I could feel the heat but it did not bother me too much. My first mile was way too fast, like 7:06 fast. I knew I needed to slow down but I felt so good. At the second hill I made myself walk a bit and slow things down. From there I maintained an even pace and stayed hydrated and cool. Someone said the temps were near 100* but it did not feel that hot until I crossed the finish line and stopped. Then I felt the heat.


All in all I am happy with my race and feel pretty good. Not too sore and great energy. I rode today with Kathleen and we chatted the whole way! I love recovery rides!! Congrats to all that competed on Sunday, way to go!


Cheers!



















No comments: