Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kona ....











I was going to call this a race report but there was really no racing coming from me. From puking to poop to blisters and lost toe nails I pretty much covered it!





Race Morning: I woke up way too early with something telling me things were not right. I had really bad diarrhea and was not feeling well. Trust me this was not pre-race nerves, this was bad! I tried to put it out of my mind and choked down my breakfast and made my way down to the start. I continued to hydrate and started to feel a bit better, I actually thought things might be OK.










Swim: This swim is crazy, from the cannon to the swim exit it is wall to wall people. I got a great start and felt smooth and strong out to the turn boat. Once I made the turn I knew I had to catch the pack up ahead and not swim the entire 2.4 miles on my own. I caught the pack quickly and then realized they had all stopped and were panicking! I had to go way wide to the left to get out of the mess. I am guessing they all started out too fast and just died. I swam hard and cleared the pack but my time was a bit slow. The ocean was rough but not too bad and I felt refreshed not tired at all. Overall good swim!










Bike: Oh how things can go from great to horrible to worse in 40 miles. But this is Kona and I was not about to give up! I knew that my eating and drinking were right on target and suddenly at mile 40 whatever went in was coming right back up! The poor guy behind me ( teach him not to draft) got puke sprayed all over him. I actually thought this might be a good thing and that maybe I would start to feel better. I continued to eat and drink in my normal pattern and sometimes it would stay down other times it came right back up. I started to sip cola here and there at mile 90 and actually made it to T2!










Run: Ok so if the puking was not bad enough my feet were the nail in the coffin that is Ironman Hawaii. I had blisters under my toe nails and across the bottoms of my feet. It was the most painful feeling I have ever had. I never thought about quitting not once did it cross my mind to stop. I knew I could walk if I had too but that would just take longer so I ran aide station to aide station stopping every mile to coat my feet in Vaseline and continue on. My stomach started to settle down around mile 25 and I actually felt like I was running. Of course the last mile is amazing and I would have run anyway but it was nice not to feel like puking all down Alii drive.










This finish line is nothing like any other. It is truly amazing and a magical place. Finishing this race in the way that I did is something that can never be taken away from me. It is not the race I wished to have or know that I am capable of having but a race nonetheless.



Post race recovery never tasted so good! Next up planning next season! Thanks to everyone who made racing in Kona a possibility, my husband Larry, my kids, my mom, my best training partner Kathleen and my "Rudy" Betsy! You are all so special to me and have made a huge difference in my life! Last I need to thank Amanda Lovato for all the support and coaching , you are the best!! XOXO











No comments: